1.  Who can emigrate?

These countries generally encourage migrants who fall into the following categories:

1. Family: people re-uniting with family members.

2. Professional & Skills: people who are given permission to enter the country on the basis that they have qualifications and   experience which are in particular demand. In some cases this is linked to a particular position of employment, but not in all cases.
3. Business: Entrepreneurs, experienced Executives or Self Employed people who are able to set up a business or make an investment in their new country.
2.  Which occupations are in Demand?

IT Professionals, Manufacturing Engineers and Managers, Electrical and Electronic Engineers and Technicians, Motor Vehicle Technicians and Diesel Mechanics, Civil Engineers, Surveyors, Cabinetmakers, Mechanical Engineers, CNC programmers, Welders and Fabricators, Refrigeration Technicians, Teachers, Specialist Nurses and Healthcare Professionals, Chefs, Social Workers, Accountants, Linguists, Food Technologists.

This list is in no particular order and is by no means exhaustive. It simply represents the diversity of emigration opportunities that are available. Please note that the demand for particular skills varies with the country's economy and from one geographic region to another.       

3.  Do Immigration rules differ from one country to another?

Immigration policies are significantly different from one country to another. This reflects the differences in population, politics and economic circumstances in each country.

4.  How long does it take to emigrate?

The application process varies considerably from one country to another - from a few months to a few years! You need to consider both the time scales to prepare and process your application, and the time available once you have been approved to actually re-locate. 

5.  Does that mean that some countries are easier to emigrate to?

In general it is not fair to say that any particular country is easier to emigrate to. Each country's Immigration Policy is designed to target particular types of people. The criteria may be revised on a regular basis to reflect this.
Elvira, a 29 year old Cook comfortably qualifies for Residence in Australia but would have difficulty qualifying for Canada.
6.  Can I keep my existing citizenship after I have re-settled in another country?
Yes, becoming a Permanent Resident of another country does not usually require you to surrender your existing passport. However, for some countries becoming a full Citizen can require you to relinquish any original citizenships. Sometimes your own country will not permit dual citizenship. We would suggest you discuss your individual circumstances with your professional advisor.

7.  Do I need a job before I can emigrate?

In most circumstances securing a job offer in your destination country is not a pre-requisite to achieve Permanent Residence status. In many situations it can be very difficult to secure employment until the applicant has been granted Permanent Residence. For some people an offer of employment will be a fundamental aspect of a residence application. It all depends on your circumstances.

Oz-Link OU would advise potential migrants to assess their eligibility for Residence before beginning a search for employment. An offer of employment on its own does not entitle you to a visa.

8.  Do I need to have a lot of money to be able to emigrate?

This is not usually the case. When your application for residence is assessed one factor that the Government may consider is the amount of capital that you have available. Many people who are successful in applying for permanent residence have modest financial resources. However, you do need to take into account the costs associated with the practical side of emigrating.

9.  Does emigration guarantee me a job?

No, securing employment is the responsibility of the migrant, not the government. However, qualifying to emigrate in the first place is an indication that the government you are dealing with believe that you have the potential to establish a successful career.

Getting a job is of course one of the fundamental elements of the migration process and Oz-Link OU will be pleased to provide assistance by introducing you to trusted specialists in your particular area.

10. What are the costs involved in emigrating?

The costs vary considerably depending on your destination and the nature of your application. Migrants need to account for the following:

Government Application and Immigration fees. Transport and removal costs. Setting up in your new country. Fees to any professional advisors.

On occasions employers may provide some assistance with resettlement costs.

Contract with Oz-Link OU will generally cost you from 2,500€ to 4,500€ depending on the visa class and your family composition.

11. Can I change my career?

Moving into a new environment may provide opportunities for a change of direction. Your application for Permanent Residence will not usually restrict your choice of career.

12. Can I start up a business?

Yes, many migrants will set up a new business or become self employed. Certain incentives may apply depending where you settle. If you are interested in setting up a business overseas you may wish to consider applying for residence in one of the specialist Business visa categories.

13. Why would I use the services of a Professional Emigration Specialist?

Millions of people apply for the right to live and work in another country every year, but very few receive the opportunity. Immigration systems can be complex and bureaucratic and the policies and procedures are constantly changing. Expert advice in the preparation of immigration applications is essential. Once you have the right to move to another country you still have a lot to think about: Employment, travel, accommodation, banking, pensions, schools. Experienced advice can ensure you avoid costly mistakes and make sure that everything runs smoothly.

Last Updated ( Tuesday, 17 July 2007 )